Saturday, January 23, 2016

Pakistan - Musharraf Threatened Benazir, Siegel Reiterates





Former prime minister Benazir Bhutto's long time friend and known lobbyist, Mark Siegel, appeared before the anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi via video link for cross questioning on Wednesday that lasted for more than six hours.
Siegel was accompanied by PPP leader and his lawyer, Farooq Naik. The duo reached the embassy in the morning determined to complete the process then and there without any further hearings. The embassy here had not allowed the media to cover the proceedings, to which Farooq Naik expressed disbelief. He said mark Siegel was a key witness in the case and the whole country, including the PPP leadership, was watching the events keenly.
Talking to The News outside the embassy after his hearing, Mark Siegel said that he was expecting the line of questions posed and was well prepared for it. He said, "There was an attempt to say that there was never a threat by Gen. Musharraf. I think I made it clear that there was, and I am not the only witness as there were others there. They tried to make it say that Ms. Bhutto did not write that email to me and of course she did. So, I think everything they challenged me on, I answered, but in any case I answered the truth."
Answering a question, he said, "It was clear I have never been paid by the party or by anyone in the family. Everyone knew that Benazir Bhutto and I worked on that book together, so it was nothing new about any of that." He maintained that he answered every question truthfully.
Mark Siegel further said that the subject was still very difficult for him. "It hurts, still. Will always hurt," he said adding that he felt it was his responsibility to appear before the court and face the questions because "at the very least she (Benazir Bhutto) deserves justice."
Even though General Musharraf has been acquitted in a couple of other high profile cases, Mark Siegel said that he doesn't know what to expect from the case, "all i know is I told the truth," he said.
- See more at: http://www.geo.tv/latest/100511-Musharraf-threatened-Benazir-Siegel-reiterates#sthash.XjDsq69w.dpuf

No comments: