Monday, December 8, 2014

Malala Yousafzai Unveils Bloodstained Uniform From Taliban Shooting



By Jack Linshi







The 17-year-old Nobel Peace Prize laureate wanted it to be displayed

school uniform she wore when she was shot by the Taliban two years ago, in an upcoming exhibition, the Nobel Peace Center announced last week.
Yousafzai’s bloodstained garments will be displayed in the Nobel Peace Prize Exhibition, an annual display featuring the life or lives of the year’s Nobel Peace Prize laureates. The 17-year-old Pakistani education advocate shared the honor this year with Indian activist Kailash Satyarthi, for their work in children’s rights.
Yousafzai told the Nobel Peace Center in an interview why she wanted to display her bloodstained uniform:
My school uniform is very important to me because when I was going to school I would wear it. The day I was attacked I was wearing this uniform. I was fighting for my right to go to school, I was fighting for my right to get education. Wearing a uniform made me feel that yes, I am a student, I am doing it, practically. It is an important part of my life, now I want to show it to children, to people all around the world. This is my right, it is the right of every child, to go to school. This should not be neglected.
Bente Erichsen, Executive Director of the Nobel Peace Center, said Yousafzai’s family had kept the uniform since the Taliban attempted to assassinate her in Oct. 2012 on her school bus. Exactly two years and one day later, Yousafzai won the Nobel Peace Prize.
Yousafzai and Satyarthi will open the eight-week exhibition on Dec. 11 at the Nobel Peace Center in Oslo, Norway.

No comments: