Sunday, August 10, 2014

Pakistan: Children being used to sell fireworks in Islamabad

Because of a ban on the sale of fireworks, some people in the city have started using children to sell fireworks ahead of Independence Day.
The reason for using children is that it becomes difficult for the police to lodge a case against a child under the juvenile law. Even if a child is arrested, they get bail without any difficulty.
The first information reports (FIRs) against children are also quashed.
It may be noted that Independence Day celebrations have already started all over the city. People are buying not only national flags but also badges, stickers and other items to celebrate the day.
Maqbool Ahmed, a citizen, told Dawn that despite the ban traders were selling fireworks and firecrackers.
“Children take more interest in fireworks than badges and other things. Every time I go to the market, my children ask me to purchase fireworks for them.”
He said at the start of the month, he purchased a flag and hoisted it on the roof of his house.
“The flag will remain there for another two weeks and after that I will save it for next year.”
He said buying fireworks was wastage of money because children use it for entertainment of just a few seconds.
Moreover, fireworks can be dangerous for children. Not only can they injure themselves but also fireworks can trigger a fire inside the house.
“I cannot understand why the law enforcement agencies have ignored the sale of fireworks in the city,” he said.
Ijaz Ahmed, a trader, said sometimes police took action against firework sellers. Some persons were also arrested in the past for selling fireworks without obtaining a no-objection certificate (NOC).
“At the moment, traders are using children to sell fireworks. The reason behind it is that police do not take action against children. Moreover, children sell fireworks while roaming in the markets and streets so they can easily avoid police action,” he said.
Kamran Ahmed, a nine-year-old child, who was selling fireworks in a market at I-10, told Dawn that he was a student of Class IV and had been selling fireworks to supplement his parents’ meager income.
“Nowadays there are summer vacations and I have completed my homework so I can give time to this business. Children from my area come to my stall and buy fireworks,” he said.
While replying to a question, Kamran said his father was a painter and the family lived in a rented room of an apartment in Sector I-10/2.
“My father buys fireworks from Purana Qila in Rawalpindi. I keep most of them at my home because whenever police come they confiscate fireworks instead of arresting me. In case of a big order, I go home and bring the fireworks for the customers,” he said.
Riasat Ali Azad, a Supreme Court lawyer, told Dawn that it was a crime to sell fireworks without getting an NOC.
“Police should take strict action against the illegal business because incidents can take place because of the use of fireworks, especially by children,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Industrial Area police arrested two persons for selling fireworks in I-8 Markaz.
Mohammad Imran, an official in the police station, said it was a bailable offence so both the suspects were released by the court.
In reply to a question, he acknowledged that a number of children were selling fireworks in the markets.
“But there is always an adult behind these children who provide them investment, material and protection. The police try to arrest the persons who use children for selling fireworks,” he said.

No comments: