Friday, January 6, 2012

Veena Malik: Trouble is her middle name

Her dad won’t talk to her, she’s involved in a multi-million dirham lawsuit over a photoshoot and she risks possible arrest in Pakistan over sedition charges. But if you think any of this has Veena Malik even remotely perturbed, think again


There’s one woman who feels “honoured” to be tagged sexy and it’s Veena Malik, even if it often gets her into trouble. The dark haired beauty, famous for her Lollywood and Bollywood roles and outspoken views on fighting Pakistani Muslim traditions, has recently been caught up in yet another scandalous affair posing half naked on the front cover of India’s FHM magazine. But will she quit showbiz and become a reserved housewife? She says, never!


After starting work with a Pakistan news channel in 2007, Veena went on to star in a number of films and some reality TV shows and quickly became a sex symbol. But she has now become a lot more well-known for her outspoken views than flaunting her curvy figure in sexy shoots.

A week after the FHM cover was released, a Dh7.5 million court battle exploded between the 24-year-old and the magazine’s publishers. Pakistan courts are threatening to have her arrested with charges of obscenity and sedition.

We caught up with her in Mumbai and asked her how she feels about getting a bad reputation for scandalous jobs.
Your name has been in articles all over the world after your apparent nude photo shoot in India’s FHM magazine. How does it feel to be involved in another media frenzy?

I have a strong personality; I speak my mind; I’m not shy. Yes, I did a bold shoot but I did not do a nude shoot. If I had decided to do a nude shoot then I’d have the guts to stand up and admit it. If it was a decision I had made I would’ve been proud of it. But I did not pose nude.

How do you explain the claims that the magazine has a video of the photo shoot showing you posing nude?

If they have video of me naked why aren’t they showing it? I didn’t sign any video contract. During the shoot there was a guy coming in and out of the room with a video camera. The first time he did it I was wearing a T-shirt and hot pants and I kept telling him, “You can’t video it’s not in any contract”. We had a verbal contract and I kept telling them video was not agreed. The second time he came in I was in a bikini and fur coat but I protested again. So they have some video clips but only of me in a bikini.

Why did you use the initials ISI (Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence) in the shoot?



I wanted to give the ISI a positive image. If something bad has happened in India people always say, “the ISI is behind it”. I wanted to change that. They can think whatever they want, but I did it with a positive view in mind. To me the ISI is just an institution in Pakistan. I don’t even know what they do. It’s not a forbidden word is it?

Your country has reacted badly to these nude photo shoot claims. How does it feel to be wanted by the police?

I have heard that papers are with a Pakistan court wanting my arrest but I just need time to prepare my side. If I’ve done something against the law then I will pay the consequences, but I’ve broken no laws.


The Pakistan courts have to wait and see if FHM can prove what they’re saying.

But seriously, how can anyone take action against me? There’s no crime here. Pakistan has an issue with me because I speak for women’s sexuality. I have no idea why they have a problem with women’s sexuality and women’s bodies. If men were topless there would be no problem.

Do you like being caught up in controversy? Do you think it’s good for your career?


I believe that every woman, no matter which part of the world she is from, should feel sexy and beautiful. It’s important. I’m completely comfortable and honoured with the ‘sexy’ tag. If that brings controversy then so be it. I’m an entertainer, I work in showbiz, people will always talk about me, that’s my career.

How do your family react to your fame? Is it a problem?

It is a problem. My father won’t speak to me on the phone right now. My mother told him I didn’t pose nude but he doesn’t want to listen. So I will not speak to him until I have proof in my hand that I did nothing wrong. Yes, I did a bold shoot but not a nude shoot.

My father knows the type of personality I have. He knows I’m a strong person with my own mind. But he’s really upset with me right now. But I will explain my side of the story when all this mess is over. He has asked me to quit show business many times but I can’t, I enjoy it too much.

You’ve been famously engaged twice, quite rare for a Muslim woman. What do you look for in a man?

I’ve had lots of relationships in the past but they all failed because they wanted to change me. I’m an independent strong girl and sometimes it’s a problem for men. I look for loyalty, honesty, and unconditional love in a man. But I am my own person with my own personality and colour and I won’t change for anyone, my man has to love me for the person I am.

Have you kept in touch with your ex-partner, jailed Pakistan cricketer Mohammad Asif?

Yes, I saw him two days before he went to prison. We were very close when we were together, we got on well, but he wasn’t honest. Even though he was jailed last month I think about him a lot. He made a mistake and now he’s paying the consequences. I just hope the day he gets out of the jail he is a different person.

He came to see me two days before he went to jail. He needed my help. He’s asked me if I would help him out and I am considering paying his £10,000 (Dh56,876) fine.

I can’t forget how close we were and how in love we were. I can help him and it would mean he could get out of prison early. I haven’t decided yet, but I’m definitely considering it.

Do you think you will marry one day?

I really believe in love and marriage. I’m a real romantic and I want to be a wife some day but it has to be with the right person. I know someone will come along eventually. I believe that if you look for something you will eventually find it.

If you were in Hollywood and you were asked to do a nude scene in the future, would you?

Who knows. In Pakistan I work within the culture and in India or Bollywood I do the same. When I’m in Hollywood I would do what is expected of me within their industry. I’m an entertainer after all.










Publication Date 3 January 2012

No comments: